Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The full texts of Senator Kennedy's and the Pope's letters

No! K.C. did not have a hidden camera at the basilica! I don't know to whom and how Holy Communion was distributed, other than there was obviously no kneeler being used. The camera people were apparently instructed not to film people receiving Communion. Why? Perhaps prelates in charge didn't want something scandalous ending up on utube or blogs. [[there is another way to prevent skandal--don't do something scandalous!]]


The 'inclusive language' responses at the funeral by someone who had a microphone were hard to miss....'....and the good of all of God's Church.'

The absence of the word abortion was also hard to miss. It was off the radar, just as pro-choice Catholics like it!

Do pray for Senator Kennedy's soul, right along with Henry VIII's and Ann Boleyn's, etc. Many people who spend their lives undermining the Catholic Church [large donors can do as much undermining as declared enemies] do end up repenting on their deathbeds. God is merciful.

There is an old hymn which concludes :

'in my hand no price I bring, simply to Thy Cross I cling' .

I believe that protestant author got it more right than Father Herrion's Catholic funeral sermon . The stuff we're most proud of is not going to be worth much on that day. We should only hope to be owning up to our sins and to be found in a state of grace. I wish Father's sermon and the senator's letter had had more about Jesus and His Mercy and less self-congratulations about how building up a [[soul-atrophying-family-displacing]]-welfare state had somehow helped God out.

K.C.

[[courtesy of Matthew Brown]]



>>>>>Following, courtesy of the Associated Press, is the text of the letter from Sen. Edward M. Kennedy to Pope Benedict XVI delivered last month by President Barack Obama. After that comes the Vatican response, which Time writer Jeff Israely -- whom we quoted at length last week on the exchange -- calls "pro forma."



Most Holy Father,

I asked President Obama to personally hand deliver this letter to you. As a man of deep faith himself, he understands how important my Roman Catholic faith is to me and I am so deeply grateful to him. I hope this letter finds you in good health. I pray that you have all of God’s blessings as you lead our church and inspire our world during challenging times.

I am writing with deep humility to ask that you pray for me as my own health declines. I was diagnosed with brain cancer over a year ago and although I am undergoing treatment, the disease is taking its toll on me.

I am 77-years-old and preparing for the next passage of life. I’ve been blessed to be part of a wonderful family and both my parents, specifically my mother, kept our Catholic faith at the center of our lives. That gift of faith has sustained and nurtured and provided solace to me in the darkest hours. I know that i have been an imperfect human being, but with the help of my faith I have tried to right my past.

I want you to know, your Holiness, that in my 50 years of elected office I have done my best to champion the rights of the poor and open doors of economic opportunity. I’ve worked to welcome the immigrant, to fight discrimination and expand access to health care and education. I’ve opposed the death penalty and fought to end war. Those are the issues that have motivated me and have been the focus of my work as a U.S. Senator.

I also want you to know that even though I am ill, I am committed to do everything I can to achieve access to health care for everyone in my country. This has been the political cause of my life.

I believe in a conscience protection for Catholics in the health field and I’ll continue to advocate for it as my colleagues in the Senate and I work to develop an overall national health policy that guarantees health care for everyone.I’ve always tried to be a faithful Catholic, Your Holiness. And though I have fallen short through human failings I’ve never failed to believe and respect the fundamental teachings of my faith.

I continue to pray for God’s blessings on you and on our church and would be most thankful for your prayers for me.”



The Vatican response:

The Holy Father has read the letter in which you entrusted to President Obama, who kindly presented it to him during his recent meeting.

He was saddened to know of your illness and asked me to assure you of his concern and his spiritual closeness. He is particular grateful of your prayers for him and for the needs of our universal church. His Holiness prays that in the days ahead you may be sustained in faith and hope and granted the precious grace of joyful surrender to the will of God, our merciful Father.

He invokes upon you the consolation and peace of our risen savior, to all who share in his sufferings and trust in his promise of eternal life, commending you and the members of your family to the loving intervention of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

The Holy Father cordially imparts his apostolic blessing as a pledge of wisdom, comfort and strength in the Lord.<<<<<<

3 comments:

  1. Did you notice that every paragraph begins with "I"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. there is a good sentence that starts with 'I' which would fit.....
    --'I am heartily sorry...'

    K.C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear K.C.,

    Be thankful you do not live in the state of the Kennedys! They are now looking to appoint his successor - appoint not elect.

    Phyllis in Massachusetts

    ReplyDelete