Thursday, June 11, 2009

'Kmerian' from Father Zuhlsdorf's kneeling post

Sisters and Brothers!

Our theme will not go away! This is because it is Athanasius', and Cardinal Canizares' [CDWDS prefect] and it is the Holy Father's cause!

Check out what some of Father Z's , june 9th readers ventured after someone complained that they were recently scolded and denied Communion because they kneeled.....

>>>>>>>I am a EMHC at my parish. And if someone knelt to recieve communion in my line, I would give it to them and go on. I agree that the commotion would be in making an issue of it.
But, at the same time, I must wonder why the insistence on it? The important thing in communion is WHO you are receiving not HOW you receive him. Perhaps Fr. Z can explain it better. But wouldn’t insisting on receiving it in a certain position almost border on superstition under Canon Law, by attributing “the efficacy of prayers or of sacramental signs to their mere external performance, apart from the interior dispositions that they demand, is to fall into superstition.”
Just my thought
. posted by kmerian
http://kmerian.blogspot.com/<<<< 'Sacerdotale' comments ....
>>>There are a couple of people who like to receive kneeling at the convent where I go to Mass. It seems a bit much to me,<<<<

Dear Sacerdotale and Kmerian,

It is hard to miss the condescension in your comments. Well at least you are willing to 'put up' with us. Sacerdotale, a 'bit much' ? One of Bishop Athanasius Schneider's points is that kneeling is an important witness to others, yes we want to say with souls and bodies that Jesus is Lord. There is nothing wrong with that, even if you think it is 'impolite' to bring it up where people are accustomed to treating Jesus in a more luke-warm manner. Kind of like breaching the topic of female dignity in a teenage boys' locker room.

Kmerian, [I hope you are tuning in] on a related note since you are an emHC, do all you emHCs who touch the Sacrament purify their fingers afterwards just as the priest does?

K. C.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout!

    Anyway, to clarify my comments over at WDTPRS. I by no means intended to come off condesending. Just the opposite, I was genuinely curious. That being said, I have no problem if someone wishes to knell to recieve Holy Communion, or if a Bishop demands everyone recieve it that way from him, he is a leader and as such we are bound to obey.

    That being said, I was responding more to the comments of some that seemed to imply that those who do not recieve kneeling are somehow lesser Catholics, or do not accept the transubstantiated host as the body and blood of our Lord.

    That is what I meant by my reference to superstition. When you choose to kneel to recieve our Lord, make sure you are doing it for HIM. That is all I was saying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. >>When you choose to kneel to recieve our Lord, make sure you are doing it for HIM. That is all I was saying.<<

    yes, but don't you think it is at least more fitting to be on your knees, than say ...standing and chewing gum? Will you grant me that?

    how about this... you seem to indicate that at least your heart should be kneeling. If so, why not have your body in one accord?

    That's what I don't understand about your argument. You seem to be saying your soul's deportment is important, but not your body's.

    help me out here!

    K. C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would agree that kneeling is the best way to receive. But in many modern churches (Built or remodeled since Vatican II) that is not really practical.

    As I said over at WDTPRS, we need to be careful to keep our focus on whom we are receiving and not get too wrapped up in how we are receiving him.

    No matter how you choose to receive the Lord, you should always choose to receive him reverently. I prefer to receive on the tongue, but standing.

    Your body's position is important, but I think we both agree that faith is the most important.

    Kneeling is the most reverent act we can perform, my biggest complaint about non-Catholics is the lack of kneeling. Never would I disparage anyone from kneeling to receive the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  4. re EMoHCs purifying fingers, etc.:

    Can't speak for all parishes, but in ours, yes, we do purify our fingers after Communion. We also know to keep the right thumb and forefinger together at all times until we have done so. The EmoHCs who distribute the Precious Blood also purify their fingers afterward (sometimes the Precious Blood can come through the purificator and onto the EMoHCs fingers when wiping the rim of the cup). And we all know what to do if any of the Precious Blood or a host should fall to the floor (and we know to look down at the floor to verify that none has). And what to do if someone tries to walk away with the Body of Christ without consuming it (it's rare, but it happens). And we know that we are not to refuse communion to someone who kneels. And we know we can't bless people, even when they ask for a blessing.

    Hope this helps allay some fears and concerns. I know there are people who are dead set against the whole idea of EMoHCs, communion in the hand, etc., but people should also know that EMoHCs are generally reverent, vigilant, and well-trained, and they never forget Who it is they hold in their hands. If someone thinks that the EMoHCs in their parish fail to meet these standards, they should talk to their parish priest and if necessary to their bishop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Bill!

    >>Can't speak for all parishes, but in ours, yes, we do purify our fingers after Communion. We also know to keep the right thumb and forefinger together at all times until we have done so. The EmoHCs who distribute the Precious Blood also purify their fingers afterward <<

    Kmerian, does this hold for all your emHCs too?

    I'm just trying to allay fears, concerns, and suspicions!

    K.C.

    ReplyDelete