Monday, June 15, 2009

Senator DeMint is Father Mowbray



Sotomayor says she has ‘never thought about’ rights of unborn, senator reports


>>>>>>[from Father Z’s blog]On Tuesday Sen. Jim DeMint (R-SC) discussed his meeting with Sotomayor.“We had a good meeting that covered a wide array of issues and Judge Sotomayor was very personable and engaging. However, I didn’t hear anything today that eased my concerns,” he said.“When I asked if an unborn child has any rights whatsoever, I was surprised that she said she had never thought about it,” Sen. DeMint reported. “This is not just a question about abortion, but about the respect due to human life at all stages, and I hope this is cleared up in her hearings.” …“Those who serve on the highest court in America must have an unwavering commitment to the Constitution and equal justice for all Americans,” he said>>>>



K. C. is moving from ‘puzzled’ or ‘hopeful’ to ‘against’ President Obama’s Supreme Court nominee, Judge Sotomayor. The judge is either lying or belongs in the category of Rex Mottram. Who was Rex? Rex is Evelyn Waugh’s idea of modern education’s ‘New Man’ i.e. ‘ignorance on stilts’. [btw Waugh was St. Edmund Campion’s most extensive biographer.] Maybe Evelyn Waugh, RIP, can help us understand what is going on here…

In his Brideshead novel, Waugh has Rex pursuing Julia, a blue-blooded Catholic girl. Rex is so eager to have her, he decides to convert to Catholicism. Julia’s family enlists a Jesuit, Father Mowbray to catechize Rex. Father M., to his frustration, finds Rex has a lack of curiosity “unknown to any pagan culture”. Father notes: “He was exceptionally docile, and he accepted everything I told him, remembered bits of it, asked no questions.”


For your enjoyment I’m including one of several hilarious ‘Rex’ sections. It turns out Julia’s little sister, Cordelia, has also been Catechizing her future brother in law and has been taking merciless advantage of Rex’s lack of curiosity, feeding him whatever he is willing to believe about Catholicism:
[from Brideshead]>>>>>>>>>>
Father Mowbray: ….yesterday I got a regular eye-opener. The trouble with modern education is you never know how ignorant people are. With anyone over fifty you can be fairly confident what's been taught and what's been left out. But these young people have such an intelligent, knowledgeable surface, and then the crust suddenly breaks and you look down into the depths of confusion you didn't know existed.

Take yesterday. He seemed to be doing very well. He'd learned large bits of the catechism by heart, and the Lord's Prayer and the Hail Mary. Then I asked him as usual if there was anything troubling him, and he looked at me in a crafty way and said,
'Look, Father, I don't think you're being straight with me. I want to join your Church and I'm going to join your Church, but you're holding too much back.' I asked what he meant, and he said: 'I've had a long talk with a Catholic - a very pious, well-educated one, and I've learned a thing or two.
For instance, that you have to sleep with your feet pointing East because that's the direction of heaven, and if you die in the night you can walk there. Now I'll sleep with my feet pointing any way that suits Julia, but d'you expect a grown man to believe about walking to heaven?
And what about the Pope that made one of his horses a cardinal?
And what about the box you keep in the church porch, and if you put in a pound note with someone's name on it, they get sent to hell. I don't say there mayn't be a good reason for all this,' he said, 'but you ought to tell me about it and not let me find out for myself.'"
"What can the poor man have meant?" said Lady Marchmain.
"You see he's a long way from the Church yet," said Father Mowbray.
"But who can he have been talking to? Did he dream it all? Cordelia, what's the matter?"
"What a chump! Oh, Mummy, what a glorious chump!"
"Cordelia, it was you."
"Oh, Mummy, who could have dreamed he'd swallow it? I told him such a lot besides. About the sacred monkeys in the Vatican - all kinds of things."<<<<

If Judge Sotomayor really has never considered the rights of the unborn, then she is probably the 2nd least intellectually curious person on the planet behind Rex. Oh wait! I forgot. Rex is imaginary. Looks like that puts her in first place!

Hey Judge, have you ever thought about what they feed those sacred monkeys in the Vatican?

K. C.

No comments:

Post a Comment