Monday, April 27, 2009

Mrs. "Easter" takes on Kneeling Catholic!

Friends,

Many of you from Corpus Christi are on my "mailing list" which has been culled from '40 days for life' emails as well as from websites of various parishes in our diocese, and a few 'chain' emails which have been forwarded to K. C.[I do LOVE a good chain letter!] Naturally a few people have requested to be removed from the list and a few have voiced strong opinions about what this blog is doing. God bless them! at least they see how important this issue is and are paying attention even though they stand on the wrong side, i.e. they are opposing the pope's gentle 'do-as-I-do'.

Yes, K. C. would love a grand fiat! But perhaps the Holy Father knows that 'do-as-I-do', once voiced, becomes 'do-as-I-say'. We laity have had our fill of 'do-as-I-say 'prelates who preach a great line, like chastity, or fortitude, yet deny their own words with their scandalous and or weak deportment. Ah! don't go there, K. C.! !

I personally believe the pope is patiently waiting for priests and bishops to show their true colors and just maybe, as the old man in the cristero video said so directly, whether they still have what it is that makes men men!

Back to the point! I am 'pasting' an incomplete exchange from a gracious lady, let us call her "Mrs. Easter". It is incomplete because I owe Mrs. "Easter" a response, feel free to suggest what I should write next....[I don't need to remind you to be polite, but I will anyway!].........[[I'm red, and Mrs. "E." is in green]]


Hi,

Please remove me from your list. It is an interesting topic and I applaud you for taking action.

Please understand that this is a non issue for me. Everyone approaches the Lord in their own way - some kneel, some stand. Some receive on the tongue, others in the hand. Some receive from the cup and some not. Holy Mother Church, in her great wisdom, offers us the options we need to express our relationship with the Lord. And we do not receive the same way every time. Just depends.... How we receive is not nearly as important as what is in our heart. "Come to me", he invites, and we come. Isn't that what really matters?



Mrs. E.

As a farewell you might check out todays "blog" as the story is about a priest in our diocese. you probably know him.

>>How we receive is not nearly as important as what is in our heart. <<<

but Mrs. Easter! We are soul and body. How can it be a matter of indifference as to whether a person, with his body, demonstrates the incredible gratitude, Greek "eucharist", which we owe the One we come before so intimately?

Kneeling, as in the case of the grateful leper, is an extreme gesture of thankfulness, is it not? I will pray for you! I think if you consider how "uncatholic" it is to separate soul from body, saying 'it only matters what you do with your soul - and not your body', you will come around!



Jesus is King and Lord, but also friend, brother, lover....for all of which I am incredibly grateful. "I no longer call you slaves, but friends". I Do think that when I times we feel that we want/need to be on our knees before the Lord, it should be easy and accepted in our communion lines. No one should be made to feel uncomfortable in their choice of reception as long as it is one of those prescribed by the Church.

I don't feel at all "separated" from my soul....just the opposite. I am united to Christ in this life as I hope to be in the next.

Corpus Christi!


Dear Mrs. Easter,

I regretfully inform you that you have contradicted yourself.You have first said, "How we receive is not nearly as important as what is in our heart," a statement which implicitly indicates a separation of soul and body: this notion (as has been said) is heretical. When this uncomfortable fact was pointed out, you responded by writing, "I don't feel at all "separated" from my soul....just the opposite," a statement clearly meant to imply that your theology does not separate body and soul, by reason that you "feel" that it does not.


Be assured that feelings and logic are two very different things, and that your feeling and your expressed theology do not agree. I also find it upsetting that your response indicates that there is a separate identity of 'you' and 'your soul' (which you "feel" are not separated). One could consider this a matter of semantics, but, indeed, in speaking thus, you HAVe indicated a separation, for part of 'you' is 'your soul'. (You would have done better to say that 'your body' does not feel separated from 'your soul'.)Thus, the original point that you are in err stands. (I might further, tangentially, note that the manner in which we receive Communion very much does matter, according to Scripture, Tradition, the Magisterium, the Saints, et al, all of which command or recommend, depending on their station, the greatest possible amount of reverence be shown the Blessed Sacrament. If kneeling and standing showed the same amount of respect, in Western society, there would be no issue. However, they most certainly do not.)

I trust that you will take this into consideration. I will remember you in my prayers.

hidden one



4 comments:

  1. Dear Mrs. Easter,

    I regretfully inform you that you have contradicted yourself.

    You have first said, "How we receive is not nearly as important as what is in our heart," a statement which implicitly indicates a separation of soul and body: this notion (as has been said) is heretical. When this uncomfortable fact was pointed out, you responded by writing, "I don't feel at all "separated" from my soul....just the opposite," a statement clearly meant to imply that your theology does not separate body and soul, by reason that you "feel" that it does not.

    Be assured that feelings and logic are two very different things, and that your feeling and your expressed theology do not agree.

    I also find it upsetting that your response indicates that there is a separate identity of 'you' and 'your soul' (which you "feel" are not separated). One could consider this a matter of semantics, but, indeed, in speaking thus, you HAVe indicated a separation, for part of 'you' is 'your soul'. (You would have done better to say that 'your body' does not feel separated from 'your soul'.)

    Thus, the original point that you are in err stands.

    (I might further, tangentially, note that the manner in which we receive Communion very much does matter, according to Scripture, Tradition, the Magisterium, the Saints, et al, all of which command or recommend, depending on their station, the greatest possible amount of reverence be shown the Blessed Sacrament. If kneeling and standing showed the same amount of respect, in Western society, there would be no issue. However, they most certainly do not.)

    I trust that you will take this into consideration. I will remember you in my prayers.

    Sincerely in Christ,
    A Reader of K.C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well! I can see why there is only one comment. This one is definitely a keeper! No wants to follow Susan Boyle on stage????

    K. C. is now "a reader of 'hidden one'!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our souls follow our bodies.

    THE
    IRISH
    KNEELERS

    We are St. Joan,
    Philomena, Campion.
    The Faith in its whole
    Is what we do champion.

    We are St. Margaret,
    Pearl of York,
    Where the bowels of the Faith
    They tried to torque.

    We are Sir More,
    That's Thomas, the Saint,
    Whose reputation
    They could not taint.

    We are vocations,
    In Ireland, kneeling,
    Adoring His presence,
    It's not just a feeling.

    We are descendents
    Of Irish and beggin'
    To stop all the men
    Who are turning us pagan!

    We are the poor,
    Uneducated ones,
    But in faith, well-informed,
    The heretic shuns.

    And when we are told,
    "Don't kneel anymore."
    Since we don't hold doctorates...
    We kneel and IGNORE!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks 'Long-Skirts'! pray for K. C.!

    ReplyDelete