Friday, July 24, 2009

Pro-choice Bishop bans Communion on the tongue

For all my friends who insist there is no connection between hand Communion and pro-choice Catholicism, I present his Excellency, Crispian Hollis of Portsmouth, England:
>>>, “With millions of others, I have been thrilled by Barack Obama’s victory and I thank God for it. For me, it represents a rare moment of hope and optimism which shows American democracy at its best and it is of seismic significance and potential for the whole global community. .......Bishop Crispian Hollis, Portsmouth, England.<<<<
Later on, after being barraged with criticism the bishop said >>>
“I am aware of what he has said about abortion and about the so-called freedom of choice and I deplore his words. There is no way in which I endorse his position on these crucial ‘life’ matters, nor, as a Catholic bishop, could I ever do so.”>>>
but, your Excellency, you create scandal when you seem to oppose the Church's moral dogma. Backing a candidate is backing that candidate's policies. Not his hairstyle, not his physique, but his policies. That's democracy.
Just a couple of days ago bishop Hollis issued the following directive
>>>>>>CATHOLIC CHURCH REGULATIONS: SWINE FLU EPIDEMIC


During the current swine flu epidemic, in keeping with the latest guidelines that I have received, I recommend that the following measures be implemented in Catholic Churches throughout the diocese from this weekend:....
1) The Sign of Peace during Mass: instead of a handshake members of the congregation are asked to join their hands together, as in prayer, turn to their immediate neighbours, bowing slightly and saying “Peace be with you”.....
2) Holy Communion is to be given only on the hand, not on the tongue or from the chalice.....
3) Ministers of the Sacred Host are asked to ensure their hands are washed with sanitizers (provided) before and after ministering communion. What's wrong with using the sacrarium?These regulations will remain in place until further notice. It is hoped that the reasons for this temporary policy will be understood and appreciated. They have been made out of particular pastoral concern for the vulnerable, namely, the elderly, children and those with underlying health problems.

Bishop Crispian Hollis 23rd July 2009 <<<<<<< [Bishop Hollis is one of those who uses the 'seamless garment' metaphor when discussing pro-life issues]

Is K. C. being unfair to label Catholics who back pro-choice politicians over pro-life ones as being 'pro-choice'?

K. C.

5 comments:

  1. I think your argument doesn't hold water. Because a chicken appears on main street and a plague didn't happen is not an argument that chickens keep plague away.

    I guess the Catholic who recieved in the hand for almost 1000 years weren't prolife, by your argument. BTW, the particular bishop in question IS a total moron, I'd agree.

    Like most euroidiots, he didn't have a clue who zero really was -- just was peeing himself that zero was "Black." You quoted him accruately. Catholic bloggers pointed this out at the time and excoriated him via private email. Myself included. The upshot was that he was forced to crawl to admit that zero was perhaps not the annointed one and he had to apologize for his statements.

    I entirely agree with refraining from the common Communion cup, particularly in a time of epidemic. But the fact remains that there are ALWAYS people who will manage to nail a priest or EM's fingers with their tongues by moving, etc. There IS a possibility of spit to pass from one person to another by this way, unless you don't mind if the priest stops everything to go wash his hands.

    If uou prefer Communion on the tongue, more power to you. I frequently (and lately more often than not recieve that way myself) but lame arguments to bolster that cause simply don't cut it.

    It's a temporary measure, not a permanent one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Gem!

    Thanks for joining in the discussion. I would ask that everyone please refrain from derogatory name-calling. I refer to the names 'zero' and 'moron' in your post. I have to watch myself too on this note.

    k.c.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't have to go to merry ole England to find pro-choice bishops and priests. We even have several Pro-Obama priests in CC.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Father,

    You seem to cede my equating of pro-Obama and pro-choice. I certainly don't want to detract, but if someone goes out of their way to show their support for a politician, then I think they then 'own' that candidate's positions.

    I would make an exception for the ignorant, or for someone who has another over-riding issue e.g. their loved-one died in Iraq and now they see that as an over-riding concern, or they are unemployed and Obama has promised them a job.

    Bishops and priests generally cannot claim any of the above.

    k.c.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Most Catholic clergy are perverts, defilers and degenerates. I would not let one of their hands anywhere near my mouth, nor consume anything they have touched.

    ReplyDelete